Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Welcome to T-dot

A friend of a friend (so a new friend of mine) is moving to Toronto this weekend, and I've offered to help her get settled in the city, introduce her to some friends, and basically try to make the transition as painless as possible. She reminds me a lot of me when I moved here almost 3 years ago, so I guess I want to help her avoid some of the bad things I encountered, while experiencing the same good things I did.
My first goal is to ensure she has lots to do, on this, her first weekend in the city (and first weekend before starting her new job). When I moved here I stayed with a friend, who was great at introducing me to his friends, taking me out, and putting in a full effort to making me feel welcome. The second thing is learning the ropes, and getting through the day-to-day deets of a new city. When I moved here, my friend's (and my temporary) roomie took me on a tour of the city, to teach me how to get to work, where the good shopping, stores, and practical necessities were. So I'm going to be that person for my new friend. What girl doesn't need to learn the closest Shopper's, prime indoor and outdoor shopping, fun patios, and safe areas for a walk/run?
I think it's important to pay it forward, as the movie taught us (well I didn't actually ever see that movie but I imagine that was the point). If I hadn't had the great support of a few key people when I first moved here, I may very well have returned home one month later. Who really knows for sure, but what I do know is that I avoided sobbing into my pillow, late-night hysterical phone calls to my parents, and any sort of regrets, mainly due to those people.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that Dani is a great welcome wagon when you move here and definitely made my transition a hundred times easier and better!

    ReplyDelete