Sunday, June 28, 2009

Big Steps

I've had brief, semi-serious conversations with my BF about moving in together. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, if at all, but the conversations are starting nonetheless. To be honest, the thought scares me more than a bit, and although I love spending time with him, I have never really pictured myself living with someone. I think there's this belief that all girls spend the time between 5 yrs old and 25 yrs old planning their weddings, the number of offspring they'll produce, and complete details of the ideal romance. That's so not me (and I'm sure it's not a lot of you either). In fact, I totally cannot picture myself walking down the aisle, wedding dress shopping, or even moving a BFs stuff into my/a new apartment.
I've spent time considering this fact before, and I've come to the conclusion that a lot of it is probably a result of having a mom who's not very 'girly'. This by no means is a bad thing, we just didn't spend a lot of time gushing about things like hair-dos, designer wedding gowns, or the perfect romance. I'm really happy that wasn't a big part of my childhood - I've had my entire young-adult life to worry about those things, and I'm sure another many years to stress over it.
I guess for now I need to realize that one day, I might be the girl on Facebook who announces she's moving in with a BF or *gasp* even getting married. To be clear...by one day I mean approx 10 years down the road...

2 comments:

  1. you're so right, at some point, we're going to realize that we're in a position to settle down - and we're actually going to want to. i had a 'moment' not so long ago when i realized that actually, instead of being on my own and traveling and doing my own thing until i'm a lot, LOT older, i would rather find a guy to travel with and discover myself and the world with... yikes. it was kinda scary - like, whatever happened to that independent free spirit i always thought i was? i think she's still there, (and we all have to be!) but i'm now open to sharing that spirit with someone else. and maybe it's a bit of the realization that growing up and being independent doesn't mean shutting everyone else out.
    so...moving in doesn't have to equal losing independence or any of that. you go girl! i'm happy you found someone you're so compatible and happy with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think of myself as independent and happy being single. But like LC - as i've gotten older i've also started to realize that life is so much better when you have someone to share it with and makes the experiences that much more worth while - so while i'm boyfriendless my friends/family will have to do!

    ReplyDelete