Monday, June 22, 2009

Single and Proud of It...Most of the Time

I honestly think that 75% of my Facebook news feeds are taken up by announcements of engagements, upcoming wedding socials (aka Stag and Doe if you're from ON) and dress fittings. I suppose this is a lot better than sad announcements of divorce and break-ups, but after a while I start to wonder if people celebrate anything else any more.
I don't like to consider myself a bitter aging girl...but at times I feel like it. Have I finally hit that point in my life where the only question people will ask me upon return trips to Winnipeg is 'So when are you getting engaged?' or 'Let me see your finger'? I am proud of the life that I have built for myself in a new city - and my Facebook updates celebrate birthdays, condo purchases and job promotions. But it's a far way in the future that it will announce an engagement. So far that Facebook will be on it's 35th model with an even more confusing layout and the computers will read our minds so we don't have to use our fingers...OK I digress...but you get my point.
Although being single is the right thing for me now, my biggest worry is that this difference will separate my married/engaged friends and I even further than our physical distance across Canada has.

2 comments:

  1. I am always thrilled when I hear a friend has gotten engaged or is really happy with her boyfriend, but of course there is that small percentage of me that feels jealous and wonders when my turn will come...keeping in mind that I am the queen of being single. I've really really really learned a lot about myself since I moved out here and have come to accept the fact that I love being single, and i'm not quite ready to settle down just yet but hey if prince charming comes along he is more than welcome to sweep me off my feet. I've also learned to focus my energy on other things like as bad as it is work, trying new spots in the city, friends, family, reading, dreaming about travelling etc. I've also kept in touch with one of my bestest friends from Winnipeg who got married before I left and is pretty much ready to become a baby making machine. I think the relationships you really care about you'll maintain if you both want to. I'm also realized that while I may be envious of my married friends' lives sometimes that they too are probably occasionly envious of mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is getting married in two months, I am honestly sick of talking about the wedding and i love talking to my single friends who dont have wedding on the brain... and i find that my fellow "to be wed" friends are starting to annoy me because all we ever talk about together is wedding stuff. and you are right Crystal, i am sometimes jealous of my single friends, and wonder if i am too young to "settle down" , etc.

    And i think we should be happy for each other regardless of marital status... i know very happy people who are not married and don't plan on getting hitched ever. and i am very happy for them.

    ReplyDelete