Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tact...an Amazing Thing

A couple days ago, while discussing the finer points of life with one of my bosses, he asked some questions about my current relationship. Not that it was any of his business, but he asked if I thought my BF was "the one". Of course I have no idea - I'm happy with him, but we haven't dated that long, and I'm really enjoying living on my own and doing whatever I want, in no rush to settle down. Also, as I explained to him, there are many things in my life I still want to do, and I'm not sure he'll want, or be able to, do them with me. My boss then proceeded to quote He's Just Not That Into You, of course upsetting me. It's one thing if a close girlfriend tells you that, or if things had been going poorly with the relationship and I suspected it myself already. But for someone completely outside the relationship, with a sprinkling of information to use those harsh words...brutal.
I spent some time wondering what qualifies him to be able to tell me something like that. But what really perplexed me, was how he thought saying that would NOT upset me. As I teared up, he started back-pedalling, and asking even more questions about my feelings for my BF. Needless to say, things were awkward for the next 1/2 hour or so. I give his wife a lot of credit, because obviously he has not learned much about tact. Or at least about how to deal with emotional young women.

1 comment:

  1. Someone should write a manual on tact.

    Also, as a general rule, when someone has something stuck in their teeth, TELL THEM.

    ReplyDelete