Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Love Shop

A while back I went to a Love (Sex) Shop with a couple friends. I worked to maintain my composure while we wandered through the store wide-eyed, often with tilted heads and quizzical looks on our faces. I happened to notice a middle-aged couple getting a guided tour through the vibrator section. No exaggeration, a tour. The worker was showing them different models and describing the pros and cons of each. In the end, they didn't buy anything, but thanked him for the introduction and time and promised to return.
What gets me is how they got there. Were they sitting around at the end of a dinner party with a few of their coupled friends, finishing off their wine and dessert, when the Sex Store on Yonge Street came up? Maybe their friends recommended that they check it out, just as if it was a new restaurant in the theatre district. Or did they discuss it one day over breakfast, and decide to make some changes to their sex life? In that case, I gather they were on a tour of sex stores around the city, feeling them out before they made a big purchase. Or perhaps it was merely entertainment, and they have a favourite store uptown, but this provided the similar benefits of a pub crawl, minus the hangover.
Either way, I'm sure they're enjoying their new-found excitement, and I'm thankful to be provided with a distraction from the human-arm-sized sex toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment