Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Crying

I cry a lot, and anyone who knows me can attest to that. I think as a species, women tend to cry a lot. Call it hormones, call it negative self-talk, call it PMS...when we hit a rough patch, often our first instinct is to cry. The thing is, crying is often not an option and even when it is, it's usually not a very good one. Think work, a public place, in front of someone you're trying to impress. When you do break down and cry in front of your co-workers, your landlord, or your boyfriend's parents, you have to work that much harder to regain their respect when the waterworks have stopped.
If I find myself starting to tear up, I try to tell myself to suck it up. I don't know when I began believing it is ok to cry about everything, but I will not let myself become one of those people who spends half their life blubbering about something.
For those times when you really do just need a good cry, go somewhere private, give yourself 5 minutes to sob (quietly if it's a bathroom stall) and move on.
Take the high road and I promise you'll love yourself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment