Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Whiney McWhine

Scenario:
You: Do I look OK in this dress (twirling in front of a mirror)
Friend: You look super hot - that's a great dress!
You: Are you sure? Do you really think I look good?
Friend: Yes, I wouldn't have said it otherwise. Are you ready to go?
You: (pouting) There are so many other great girls out there...are you sure you want to hang out with me? I feel like you don't really like being friends with me.
Friend: Ummmm nothing has changed, and I told you how great you looked...?
You: Well I saw you talking to that girl in your class, you guys seemed to be getting pretty close...maybe you'd rather grab brunch with her?! You never say anything nice...
Friend: WTF

I might have exaggerated this scene a bit, but I'm sure you're rolling your eyes at the 'You' character above. Now substitute BF for Friend, 'dating' for 'hanging out with' and it probably seems a bit more realistic (too bad). You wouldn't pull this on a girl friend, so why is it OK with a BF? You can't really blame guys for tiring of all that whining, questioning and fishing for compliments!
Sadly, I hear girls saying these things all the time. STOP! Listen to yourself - take an objective view of your conversations with guys and realize that you're making yourself less attractive by the minute. Plus, by focusing solely on what they're not saying, or what hidden meanings might lie beneath their compliments, you're ignoring all the great things they DO say!

1 comment: