Sunday, May 10, 2009

Easy

A wise friend of mine once told me that a relationship 'should be easy'. At the time I didn't really understand what she meant, but when she got married this year (further proof that she was right) I was happy to tell her that I finally saw the light.
This doesn't mean that you are always awed and amazed by your significant other (of course they are annoying sometimes!), but there are a few things that stand out in my mind as key factors. In my opinion, when a relationship is 'easy', a small argument doesn't often escalate into a major blowout. When there is a fight, the fear of a break up isn't always looming, it's just a fight. It seems that in these relationships, the significant other is dependable and works to make life easier, not tougher, for you.
Granted, the ups and downs can be exciting, but having an easy relationship allows you to spend your time, energy and brilliance on so many other great things.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I agree. I agree that a small argument shouldn't often escalate and that there should rarely be the fear of breaking up...but my current relationship is the hardest one I've ever been in. I finally get what they mean when they say "relationships are work" however, it's also the most fun, the most exciting and the most loving. I don't think it necessarily has to be "easy" - granted, that does work for some people.

    ReplyDelete