Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's How I Am

Warning - the following might be seen as being a bit harsh. And as I re-read it I realize it's very similar to "That's my thing". I think there are some key differences though, so please read both!
We all make mistakes - no matter who you are, how hard you work at leading a healthy, happy life, things go wrong. For you, this may mean drinking too much at a club and having a less-than-graceful exit, getting in a fight with a close friend, or falling for someone who just isn't that into you. The problem is with how you react to these situations. Since when is it OK to say "well, that's just how I am"? I hear this so often, as if it's an excuse for sloppiness, mean behaviour or poor judgement. Making mistakes is a natural part of life, and can even be positive, when you learn from them. Writing it off as a mere personality flaw, not so positive.
Next time you're recovering from a big night out with a bad ending, or a hurtful relationship, force yourself to think about how you can avoid doing the same thing next week/month/year. Make a change, or get comfortable with being disappointed in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment