Monday, November 9, 2009

Put Together

I always feel like I'm not quite put-together. When I wear a great outfit, I seem to be missing something, like a great belt or the right bra. When I dress up for a fancy event, I picture exactly how I want my outfit to look, but in reality I have a few extra bulges or the top doesn't fit quite as well as I'd hoped.
I recently went to two weddings, both at which I felt like an amateur compared to the other girls. At the first wedding, my dress went a bit too low for my strapless bra, which of course was a very bright white. I couldn't get comfortable as I had to continually peek down and ensure I was covered up. I assumed that the second wedding was going to be ultra casual since it was at a restaurant. Of course I was wrong and I spent the afternoon feeling grateful I did decide to wear a dress instead of a more relaxed outfit. However I wore tights which really dressed the outfit down, and they were a bit scrubby looking after wearing them all last winter. Also, I noticed in the bright lights of the restaurant that my shoes were scuffed. Great.
When I look around at these events, the other girls & women seem to be so put-together. Their accessories match their shoes which match their purses, their nails are expertly done and they have fresh-from-the-salon hair. And I'm not talking about some high society event - these are just ordinary women like me!
I'm trying to focus on pulling my look together from now on. I know life isn't all about looks and shallow things like great hair, but it also is not about feeling self-conscious and unhappy. I will get up earlier in the morning to blow dry my hair, and I will spend an hour a week to do my nails. I hate feeling uneasy about my looks, whether at work or in a social setting, I find that just doing a quick job on my nails or ensuring I wear the right earrings has helped tremendously already.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! It's like you read my mind! I usually do all the same things and feel the exact same at formal events especially. And for work, I rarely get up early enough to make sure my hair is freshly blow dryed, however, recently I've started putting on jewellry that matches my outfit, got my nails done and am doing my hair in the morning and it makes a huge difference. It's nice to know others feel the same and I'm sure we're not the only ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My opinion on this varies. I always feel better when I look good (or at least what I think is good). I'm not big into the accessories, i've worn the same jewellry for the last 10 years, carry the same basic inexpensive purse/bag until it falls apart, but shoes do get me. In any case my point is that I definitely exude(sp?) more confidence when I feel that I look well put together. I do however hate that feeling of judgement if I leave my condo with no make up on and sweats (okay fine it's usually lulu's in toronto). I feel like in Toronto (in comparison to Winnipeg) i'm less likely to risk looking like crap even if I have to run a small errand. But the more I think about it the more I think the only person judging me is me.

    ReplyDelete