Sunday, December 6, 2009

How to Meet a Boy

Today on the subway I was reading a new dating book, Screw Cupid, and an attractive 20-something-year-old sat down beside me midway through my trip. He interrupted my reading to ask me if the book had been useful so far. Obviously this was a bit embarrassing (I was trying to hide the cover but he must have read one of the chapter titles). I explained that I was reading it for research rather than actual use as I'm currently in a relationship, but we both knew how weak that sounded.
He confessed that he'd read part of (so probably the entire) The Game by Neil Strauss, a cult-classic about pickup artists. He proceeded to brag about his set-up techniques and claimed credit for one marriage to date.We chatted until I got off about 8 stops later, and he was kind enough to participate in some ad-hoc market research.
  • When approaching a guy, girls should focus the conversation on something they're passionate and excited about. Not only will she have more to talk about, but being excited about something makes you stand taller, smile bigger and your eyes will sparkle.
  • Girls should go places that reflect their interests. My subway friend explained that he likes indie music and would love to meet a girl at a concert who was into the same scene as him.
  • I realized that reading a dating book on the subway puts a bit of a target on you. You'll either attract men because you're most likely single and looking, or scare them away with what they'll assume is an intense desire to wed.

No comments:

Post a Comment