Monday, December 6, 2010

Relationship Hangover

After my latest break-up I felt relief, excitement and the feeling that comes with knowing you did the right thing, even if it wasn't the easiest thing. Now, months later, the sadness is creeping back in. I knew this would happen, but it still stings.
While everyone was nicely concerned about me in the weeks that followed, I felt, for the most part, perfectly fine. But a few weeks passed and reality sunk in. The seemingly endless list of available guys I know or could meet has shrunken, my body is tired from wearing 4 inch heels on every outing, and my cheeks hurt from flashing my best smile at every guy I pass on the street.
The more important thing is that it was the right decision, and I know that we all have to go through some tough times every now and then. But the initial high of being free and having my own life back was the equivalent of 1am at my favourite bar, 5 drinks in, and now I'm experiencing 9:30am the next day. The relationship hangover. Sometimes a reliable, quiet, alcohol-free night is the way to go after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment