Monday, June 28, 2010

Successful, Sexy and Single

I am lucky to be part of a great group of volunteers involved with a Toronto not-for-profit. This group of young people are completely outstanding (I am so under-qualified in comparison it's embarrassing) - with great resumes and amazing personalities. After hanging out with the group tonight it dawned on me that no one is married (at least that I know of). A few people are in serious relationships but otherwise it's a pretty eligible crowd, which is a bit unusual in a group of under-40's.
Not only is this unusual for our demographic, in this case it is astonishing because as I mentioned the group is dynamic, attractive, fun, friendly and ultra-successful. So what gives? Does this support the general belief that young professionals in big cities delay relationships and starting families to focus on their careers? Are they intimidating to the opposite sex? Are they so driven, with so many options available, that they don't want to settle down?
All of these seem like logical reasons, and I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter. On the upside I now have a solid group of people to set up.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are posting more publicly!!! I'm a big believer in the fact that people are single because they want to be single (at least somewhere deep down inside they want to be single). Having said that i've been single for pretty much my whole life :) Sure having someone to share things with and love you makes life all that much better but I think it's important that it is the right person - I don't believe in dating for the sake of dating. Sometimes it's hard to focus on settling down when you are trying to accomplish certain things in terms of career and other life goals. I guess it all depends on what your priorties are. Unfortunately for me, i'm a hopeless romantic and I feel like that sometimes limits my options for meeting people and being a character in my bff's new book...

    ReplyDelete