Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Beauty Queen

My latest guilty pleasure is Toddlers & Tiaras, the show following beauty pageant contestants on TLC. It's simultaneously disturbing and amazing, like a car crash that you can't help but stare at. I wonder what my life would be like if my parents had entered me into crazy intense American beauty pageants as a child, instead of sending me to gymnastics and soccer games. As it is I'm semi-obsessed with fashion, make-up and style even though I spent most of my childhood & adolescence in a demanding sport.
Then there's the issue of parental support and guidance - the favourite line of the parents in this show is "she is a four-year-old and she's a difficult child so I just let her do as she pleases". I'm pretty sure if the four-year-old me told my mom off just one time she would have smacked me, and rightfully so!

No comments:

Post a Comment