Sunday, February 13, 2011

V-Day

Single people generally hate Valentine's Day. Surrounded by couples holding hands, exchanging sappy cards and cheap chocolates it's like having a sign pinned to your back exclaiming "I'm single!". When your cubicle neighbour receives a beautiful bouquet and the only thing you've received is a text from your dad wishing his "cute daughter a Happy Valentine's Day", it's tough not to be bitter.
I choose to look at Valentine's Day as an opportunity, rather than a sad day. It's a great excuse to ask out that guy in your class or someone you've been friendly with at the office. Maybe you've been chatting online with someone for a few weeks but no dates have materialized thus far. What single guy isn't looking for an easy answer to the question "what are you doing for Valentine's?"
A few years back I started a relationship this way. I was working part-time and one of our shifts landed on the big day. Rather than go home alone, I got take-out and watched a movie with a cute co-worker. I proposed the idea to him the week prior, with the context of neither of us having plans, and no one wants to be alone that night. We had a great time and ended up dating for several months after.
I'm not suggesting you ask someone out to an uber-romantic dinner, or expect the guy you're casually seeing to present you with a dozen roses and a blue box. I am merely reminding you to keep your options open and always see the silver lining!

1 comment: