Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my 26th birthday...and it's been basically 3 days of celebration for me. It is times like this that make me realize how lucky I am. My mom came out to visit me in TO for a week and a half, so she's here today cleaning the kitchen (she made a few lasagnes for my freezer) before she takes me out for dinner. I got very kind and loving birthday cards from family and friends, as well as so many messages, emails and phone calls. I celebrated at a wicked cool bar on Saturday and had a great turn-out - which is especially meaningful because this isn't my hometown.
It makes me appreciate that I have so many people in my life that care about me, and I'm reminded that no matter what happens with boys, work, school or anything else, those people will be there for me. We spend so much time focusing on negative things - we want to lose weight, be taller (or shorter), richer, smarter, the list goes on and on. But when you stop and take a look around you, life really is pretty good, and it's the people in it that matter the most.
My challenge to you - take just a fraction of the effort that you spend worrying about the negative things in your life, and put it into your relationships with friends and family. This might mean phoning your parents, sending a card to someone on their birthday, or telling someone how much you care about them. It might feel a bit awkward at first, but I am confident this will lead to a richer, more fulfilling life, and in turn make you happier. I know this is on my list of 'things to do when I'm 26'.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday...well no more birthday actually. Great advice, I think you should add drinking a 2-6 to your list of things to do ;)

    ReplyDelete