Thursday, March 26, 2009

Standing out in a crowd

I have a big meeting today at work with the senior execs. I'm not a 'key player' at the meeting, I think I was invited as a 'thank you' for doing a lot of work (is that really a reward??). In situations like this, I fight with myself on what to wear. Of course I was going to wear a formal business outfit, a suit of some sort. I opted for black pants, black blazer and white tank with minimal jewellery. I think I look professional and well-dressed, but I definitely wouldn't stand out in a crowd.
When you go to networking events, business meetings & dinners, formal parties or fundraisers, ask yourself, would you rather stand out in the crowd or blend into the background? I think there's a fine line, especially as a woman, but I can make a great argument for standing out. You don't want to look trashy, unprofessional, or inappropriate (I'm picturing fishnets and one too many buttons undone). But I think wearing something bright, or a bit different, can have the same effect as being a great speaker or working a room really well. As a young(er), confident, fabulous girl, try wearing something a bit different next time you get invited to something. Even if it means some big chandelier earrings, or red lipstick, try being the one to stand out, and see where it gets you!
Good advice...so why am I wearing this outfit...?

No comments:

Post a Comment